HISTORY OF THE TUWANEK HOTEL
Back in the early 1930’s and through to the 50’s the Sunshine Coast was a holiday ground for many business and professional people from Vancouver. Steamships cruised up and down the coast taking many visitors to small getaway locations up and down the coast and inside the many inlet waterways. One of the most famous of these destinations was Camp Malibu which stood at the entrance to the famous Princess Louisa Inlet and Chatterbox Falls.
Located in the Sechelt Inlet between 9 mile point and Porpoise Bay in a small community which we know as Tuwanek was the old Irvine House which operated as a small Inn with Cottages that wound wind their way down to the beach front. The only way into this little resort was by steam ship and in the summer months people would come and stay in sleeping cabins that were located along the waterfront. During the late 40’s and early 50’s polio outbreaks kept visitors from congregating together and many of these small resort style inns went out of business. When Dr. Irvine passed away the old house was left vacant until 1960. Lucy and Ken Sorensen (Krista’s parents) bought the old house when the area was subdivided into recreational lots in 1960 but unfortunately it was in disrepair and had to be torn down in 1961.
In July 2017 Donna Patrick bought the hotel after 33 years of running a Bed and Breakfast in North Vancouver called the Grandmanor Guesthouse. Today Donna and her son Adrian contine to run the Hotel as a Bed and Breakfast and At the Waters Edge Spa.